- Aromatic, fruity and floral
- From bone-dry to very sweet
- Pairs well with food
- Riesling is a white grape use to make white wine. It is an aromatic grape, full of aromas and freshness. It is also known for its floral, citrus, spicy and mineral aromas.
- Riesling are expressive wines, their aromas, flavours and texture depend on where the grapes were grown and how the wine was made.
- Riesling wines have a reputation of being sweet wines. However, they are made with different levels of sweetness, from bone-dry to very sweet.
- Germany is the home of Riesling, but it is present in almost all the of the wine-producing countries, especially those with a cooler climate.
- Riesling is known for its floral, green fruit and citrus aromas.
- Riesling that are grown in warmer climates tend to have stone and tropical fruit aromas.
- Aged Riesling wines can also display toast, honey, smoke and petrol aromas.
Different style of Riesling wines to try
- Mosel in Germany. Medium sweet wines, with high acidity. Wines can age very well because their high acidity and freshness.
- Alsace in France. High acidity, dry, floral, fruity and mineral. When aged: dried apple, dried peaches, honey, citrus zest and wet stones.
- Wachau in Austria. Grüner Vetliner is Austria’s native grape, however Austria also makes high quality fragrant, fruity and dry Riesling.
Riesling is low in alcohol and high in acidity making it one of the most food-friendly wines around.
- Spicy food
Wine serving temperature
- Cool, around 7°C
Similar wine grape varieties
- Chenin Blanc
- Muscat Blanc (Moscato)